1) 人稱代詞it常可以用作賓語,代表剛提到的一樣東西:
Have you got my express mail? ——Yes, I've got it. 收到我的快件了嗎? ——收到了。
Where is my bike? ——Pam is riding it. 我的自行車在哪兒? ——帕姆在騎。
Where is the car key? ——I put it in your drawer. 我的車鑰匙在哪兒? ——我放在你抽屜里了。
You can't eat your cake and have it. (諺)蛋糕吃了就沒有了。
也可以代表一個嬰兒:
How about the baby? ——I'll take care of it. 寶寶怎么辦? ——我來照看。
2) 也可表示剛提到的一件事:
If I can help, I'll do it. 如果我能幫忙,我一定會這樣做。
If he doesn't come, I can't help it. 如果他不來我也沒有辦法。
You promised to support us. You've got to do it. 你答應支持我們的,你就應當這樣做。
I want to go to the dance. ——Your father won't like it. 我想去參加舞會。 ——你父親不會贊成的。
If I have improved in any way, I owe it all to you. 如果說我有什么改進,那都得歸功于你。
You have saved my life. I shall never forget it. 你救過我的命,我永遠不會忘記。
it也可用作先行賓語,借助它把真正的賓語放到句子后部去,特別是用在一些復合賓語中。it可以:
1) 代表不定式:
She found it difficult to convince him. 她感到很難讓他相信。
He thought it best to be cautious. 他認為最好小心行事。
I'dthink it well worthwhile to go. 我認為去是很值得的。
He felt it his duty to take good care of them. 他感到好好照顧他們是他的責任。
He made it a rule to do an hour's work in the garden every day. 他給自己規定每天在花園里干一小時的活。
2) 代表that引導的從句(that有時省略):
I took it for granted (that) you would be coming. 我想當然地認為你會來的。
Depend upon it, we shall win the war. 放心吧,我們會打贏這場戰爭的。
I take it from your silence that you don't want to go. 從你的沉默中我猜想你不想去。
You can put it that it was arranged before. 你可以說這是以前安排的。
I have it on my conscience that I haven't done my duty. 我良心不安,感到沒盡到我的責任。
He doesn't want it to be known that he's going away. 他不想讓人知道他準備離開。
間或代表連接代(副)詞引導的從句或動名詞:
He hasn't made it clear when he is coming back. 他沒有說明他什么時候回來。
They haven't made it known where the meeting is to take place. 他們沒宣布會議在哪里開。
I think it very unwise going on like this. 我認為這樣進行下去很不明智。
有些作賓語的it,并不指具體的東西,意思很含糊,甚至沒有意思:
The last train's gone. We'll have to foot it. 最后一班火車已經開了,我們得步行了。
He escaped, and tramped it home, working at odd jobs. 他逃了出來,沿路打零工,像流浪漢似的回到家里。
He likes to lord it over the union staff. 他喜歡對工會下屬發號施令。
You may have to rough it a bit if you come to stay. 如果你來住,你可能要過點苦日子。
Leg it to the nearest telephone. 跑到最近的電話亭去打。
I shall have it out with him later. 以后我要和他談清楚。
He has it over me that he's been to Egypt and I haven't. 他比我強的是他去過埃及而我沒去過。
Hang it all, we can't wait all day for them. 見鬼,我們不能一整天都等著他們。
I'm feeling rather off it today. 我今天感到不大舒服。
We'll make a day of it. 我們要玩一整天。