LAURA: Hi, Bill. 嗨, 比爾你好.
BILL: Hi, Laura. How are you today? 嗨, 羅拉. 你今天怎么樣?
LAURA: Awful. I resigned. 糟透了! 我辭職了.
BILL: You resigned? Why? 你辭職了? 為什么?
BILL: You liked the job, didn't you? 你不是蠻喜歡那份工作嗎?
LAURA: Yes and no. I never liked my boss. You know that. 喜歡也不喜歡. 我始終都不喜歡我的老板, 這個你是知道的.
BILL: Yes. But it was an interesting job, wasn't it? 對, 可是那份工作不是蠻有趣的嗎?
LAURA: Yes. 是的.
LAURA: We handled all the advertising and promotion for the Fair. 我們負責萬博會所有的廣告與宣傳促銷.
BILL: Well, what are you going to do now? 那么, 你現在打算怎么樣.
LAURA: Find another job. Do you need a secretary? 找新工作. 你需不需要一個秘書?
LAURA: I type sixty words a minute. 我一分鐘可以打六十個字.
BILL: No, not today. But did you look in the newspaper? 今天不需要. 不過你可曾在報紙上找過?
LAURA: Yes. Nobody needs a secretary this week. 找過了, 這個禮拜那里都不缺秘書.
BILL: What about the employment office here at the Fair? 萬博會的人事處如何呢?
BILL: Did you check with them? 你到那邊問過沒有?
LAURA: No, I didn't. 沒有, 我沒有.
BILL: Why not? 為什么不去呢?
LAURA: Because they aren't going to help me. 因為他們不會幫助我的.
LAURA: I resigned from a good job! 我已經辭掉一份很好的工作!
BILL: Maybe you're wrong. 也許你錯了.
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You need recommendations to get a good job. Mr. Crawford isn't going to give me a recommendation. 噢, 比爾, 要找一份好工作, 非有以前雇主的推薦不可. 郭佛先生不會幫我寫推薦函的.
BILL: Look. 我跟你講,
BILL: Mr. Crawford is difficult to work for, right? 替郭佛先生作事很艱難, 你說是不是?
LAURA: Right. 是.
BILL: Well, maybe the employment office knows it, too. 也許人事處里也知道這個情形.
LAURA: Is that possible? 有那個可能嗎?
BILL: Of course, it's possible! Maybe you're his seventh secretary in two years! 當然有可能! 說不定你是他兩年來第七任秘書!
LAURA: Maybe. Thanks, Bill. 也許吧. 謝謝你, 比爾.
BILL: Don't mention it. Good luck. 不足掛齒, 祝你成功!
MRS.CRAWFORD: Hi, dear. How was your day? 嗨, 親愛的, 你回來啦! 今天過得好嗎?
MR.CRAWFORD: Oh, the same. 噢, 老樣子.
MRS.CRAWFORD: How's your secretary? Does she come in on time now? 你那個秘書怎么樣? 她最近準時上班嗎?
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes... well, in fact, she resigned today. 是的... 嗯, 事實上, 她今天已辭職了.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Laura? Resigned? Why? 羅拉? 辭職了? 為什么?
MR.CRAWFORD: I don't know. Maybe because I criticized her typing. 我不知道. 也許是因為我批評她打字技術不好.
MRS.CRAWFORD: She's a good typist, isn't she? 她是一位好打字員, 對不對?
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes, usually. 是, 通常是打得不錯.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Well? 怎么講?
MR.CRAWFORD: "Usually" isn't "always." "通常" 是不等于 "經常" 的.
MRS.CRAWFORD: You are too critical, dear. 你太挑剔了, 親愛的!
MR.CRAWFORD: Please. It's my business. 拜托, 那是我的事情.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Don't talk to me that way. And don't forget, it was my father's business. You're too critical of everything and everyone; of me, of the boys... 不要這樣對我說話,你也不要忘了,公司本來是我爸爸的.你對每一個人,每一件事物都太挑剔, 包括我, 我們的兒子...
MR.CRAWFORD: Jane, please, don't bother me. 珍, 我求你不要煩我.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Look, Gary, I live here, too. They are my sons, too. 賈瑞你聽我講, 這個家也是我的, 兒子也是我的...
MR.CRAWFORD: I'm tired, and I don't want to talk about it. 我很累, 我不想討論這些.
MIGUEL: What a mess! 這里亂透了!
PEDR You sound like my mother. Watch out! 你講話像我媽媽一樣. 小心啊!
PEDR Don't step on that sweater. 別踩了那件毛衣.
MIGUEL: Hey, that's my sweater. 嘿, 這件毛衣是我的!
PEDR Uh, yes, I guess it is. 這個... 好像是.
MIGUEL: You're a slob, Pedro, but you're a great photographer. 你是個大垃圾蟲, 佩德羅. 可是, 你卻也是個第一流的攝影師.
MIGUEL: Some of these pictures could be in magazines. 這些照片可以登到雜志上去.
PEDR Thanks, Miguel. 謝謝你, 米蓋爾.
MIGUEL: Hey, here's an old picture of you. You had a mustache! 嘿, 這里有一張你以前的照片. 你留了小胡子!
PEDR Let me see. 給我看.
MIGUEL: You're standing with a guy with long blond hair. He looks American. 你跟一個金黃長發的家伙站在一起, 他看起來好像是美國人.
PEDR Yes, he is. He was my first good friend here. A very creative guy. 是的, 他是我來這邊以后的第一個好朋友, 是一個很有藝術創作力的年輕人.
PEDR I met him at the art school downtown. 我是在市中區那間藝術學校認識他的.
MIGUEL: What's his name? You never talk about him. 他叫什么名字? 你從來沒提過他.
PEDR His name's Michael. 他叫麥可,
PEDR He was in love with this woman. 他跟這位小姐相戀,
PEDR He wanted to marry her. She was beautiful, but crazy. 他想娶她. 她很漂亮, 但是有點神經兮兮的.
MIGUEL: What do you mean "crazy?" 你說她神經兮兮的, 是什么意思?
PEDR One day, she came to my door. She didn't love Michael anymore. She fell in love with me. 有一天 她來到我家門口. 她不再愛麥可了, 她愛上了我.
MIGUEL: Just like that? 就那樣嗎?
PEDR Well, sure, I flirted with her, but I flirt with everyone! 這個... 當然羅, 我有逗過她, 可是我誰都逗.
MIGUEL: What happened? 結果怎么樣?
PEDR You know I can't resist a pretty face. 你是知道的, 我沒辦法抗拒漂亮女孩子的魔力.
MIGUEL: And Michael? What did he do? 那么麥可呢? 他的反應怎么樣?
PEDR He never spoke to me again. About a year ago I tried to call him, but he hung up on me. 他跟我斷絕來往了. 大概一年前我給他打電話, 可是被他掛斷了.
MIGUEL: What happened to the girl? 那個女孩怎么樣了?
PEDR We saw each other a few times. 我們彼此見了幾次面,
PEDR Then she moved to Florida. 然后她搬到佛羅里達去了.
PEDR She has a sister there. Things like that don't last long. 她有一個姊姊住那里. 像那種事情是不持久的.
BILL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保羅.
PAUL Hi, Bill. How's business? 嗨, 比爾, 生意怎么樣?
BILL: Fine. How's yours? 不錯, 你呢?
PAUL Coming along. We're opening some new exhibition soon. Oh, by the way, we're looking for a secretary. 還好, 我們有一個新展覽會快要開幕了, 哦, 對了, 我們正要請一位秘書.
BILL: Really? I know a good one. She wants a new job. 真的? 我認識一位好秘書, 她需要一個新的工作.
PAUL Where can I find her? 她在哪里?
BILL: I can give her your number. I see her every day. 我可以給她你的電話號碼, 我每天都看到她.
PAUL OK. Here's my card. Tell her to call me. Oh, what's her name? 好, 這是我的名片, 叫她打電話給我, 對了, 她叫什么名字?
BILL: Laura Segura. 羅拉?瑟姑拉.
PAUL Segura... Isn't she Mr. Crawford's secretary? 瑟姑拉... 她不是郭佛先生的秘書嗎?
BILL: She was. She resigned. 那是以前, 她辭職了.
PAUL I don't think I can hire her. My office does a lot of work with Mr. Crawford's office. It could be embarrassing. 我恐怕不能用她. 我的公司跟郭佛先生的公司有生意來往, 那將會很尷尬的.
BILL: I see. That's too bad. 我了解, 那真可惜.
PAUL Yes, it is. But perhaps we can find her a job in another department. 是的, 不過, 我們也許可以在其他部門幫她找到工作.
BILL: Thanks, Paulo. 謝謝, 保羅.
PAUL Sure, Bill. 不客氣, 比爾.
: Dear Mama, 親愛的媽媽:
: There is so much to tell you, Mama. 我要和您說的事情太多.
: Everything here seems different, but, at the same time, everything seems the same. 這里的一切, 都好像不一樣. 可是, 在同樣的時間, 每件事情又似乎是相同的.
: Yesterday was a good example. 昨天就是一個很好的例子.
: At 7:00 the alarm clock rang and woke us up. 鬧鐘在七點鐘時叫醒了我們,
: I turned on the radio, and we listened to the news. 我打開了收音機, 我們收聽新聞報導.
: But the news is in English, not Spanish. 可是, 那是英語新聞, 不是西班牙文.
: For breakfast, we have coffee and bread, but the coffee and bread don't taste the same as they do at home. 我們早餐吃面包喝咖啡, 可是這里的面包、咖啡跟家里所吃的味道卻不一樣.
: Even the water tastes different! 就連自來水的味道都不一樣呢!
: At 9:00 I left the house. 我九點鐘出門.
: At night, after dinner, we talked and watched television. 晚上吃晚餐以后我們聊天看電視.
: The movies here are the same: war stories, westerns, and mysteries. 此地的影片千篇一律: 有戰爭片、西部片和偵探片.
: At about 9:30 one of Pedro's friends stopped in to say hello. 大概九點半左右, 佩德羅的一個朋友進來寒喧了一下,
: At about 11:00 Pedro called each one of his twenty girlfriends to say good night and told each one a different story. 大約在十一點左右, 佩德羅給他二十個女朋友一個一個的打電話道晚安, 并分別說了二十個不同的故事給她們聽.
: I like Pedro more and more. 我越來越喜歡佩德羅.
: I learn a little more English every day. 我每天都學到了一些英語,
: Yesterday, I learned the word "embarrassed." 我昨天學會了 "尷尬" 這個字.
: love, Miguel 兒, 米蓋爾上
: PS You asked for a photograph. Here it is. 再啟: 您向我要的照片隨函附上一張.
: The girl next to me is Marta. She lives upstairs. 在我旁邊那個女孩子叫瑪它, 她住在我的樓上.
: My father died the year I was born. 我爸爸在我出世的那年去世了,
: Life was difficult in Spain in those years. 那個年頭, 在西班牙謀生很不容易.
: My mother decided to move to Mexico because people said things were easier there. And there was no reason to stay in Barcelona. 我媽媽因為聽說在墨西哥生活比較容易, 所以決定搬到那邊去, 而認為沒有理由留在巴塞隆納.
: It broke my mother's heart to leave, but it also broke her heart to stay. 我媽媽不舍得走, 可是又不愿留下.
: She sold her diamond ring, the only thing she had, and bought two tickets to Mexico. 她把她唯一的財產鉆戒賣掉, 而買了兩張到墨西哥的船票.
: There, in Mexico, I forgot yesterday's miseries. 到了墨西哥以后, 我把過去的困苦境遇都忘掉,
: After all, I was only a child. 畢竟當時我還只是個小孩子.
: But our new life was not like my mother's golden dreams. 可是我們的新生活并沒有我媽媽想像的那么美.
: I grew up and had to go to work. 我長大后, 就必須去作事,
: I was very unhappy. 我非常的不快樂.
: We were poor and alone in the world. 在這個世界上我們既窮又孤單.
: At eighteen, I married an older man. 十八歲那年, 我嫁給一個年紀比較大的男人.
: He had a little money, and I spent a few happy years with him. 他有一點錢, 我和他過了幾年快樂的日子,
: I got new clothes and lived in a fine house. 我買了很多新衣服, 并住在一棟很漂亮的房子里.
: But I didn't love him, and I think he knew it, too. 不過, 我并不愛他, 我想他也知道.
: It wasn't his fault. He wasn't a bad husband. 這不是他的過失, 他并不是一個不好的丈夫,
: He wanted a quiet life and a big family. 他希望日子過得很平靜, 及子女生得很多.
: I didn't. We fought about it and made each other miserable. 而我不要, 我們為了這件事而吵架, 弄得彼此都很苦悶.
: Finally we got a divorce. After that I came to New York. 最后我們離婚了, 離婚后我就到紐約來了.
: My dear husband, Francisco, 我親愛的丈夫法蘭西斯哥:
: I miss you, my dear, but we are happy and healthy, and the children send their love. 親愛的, 我真想念你, 我們都很愉快很健康. 孩子們都向你問好.
: Paulo is busy every minute. 保羅時時刻刻的忙著,
: He is just like you, so sensible, maybe too sensible. 他跟你一樣, 腳踏實地. 也許他過度腳踏實地,
: He thinks about business all the time. 一天到晚想著生意的事情,
: He doesn't have any real friends here. 在這里他沒有什么真正的朋友.
: Joana is growing up before my eyes. 瓊娜在我眼前迅速長大,
: Every day she grows more mature, less shy, and more confident. 她一天比一天成熟, 沒有以前害羞, 比以前更有自信.
: She's getting serious about art again, so she's going to take some courses at one of the schools here. 她又對藝術認真起來, 因此打算在此地的一所學校進修.
: She's talented, but not very patient. She has a lot to learn. 她有天分, 但沒有多大耐心, 還有許多事情有待學習.
: I am enjoying the Fair, but most of all, I am enjoying the children. 我很喜歡到萬博會玩, 但是, 帶給我最大的樂趣, 還是孩子們,
: I am very proud of them. 我真以他們為傲.
: At first, Joana was nervous about her English, but now she is almost fluent. 瓊娜當初耽心她的英文不夠好, 可是現在幾乎和美國人一樣流利了.
: As a matter of fact, she is teaching me! 事實上, 她還教我呢!
: So, my dear, how are you? 親愛的, 你還好嗎?
: How are things at home? I miss you. 家里的情形怎么樣? 我真想念你,
: I read and reread all your letters. 你的信, 我都看了又看.
: Your devoted wife, 你摯愛的妻
: Alicia 愛麗霞上
MR.NIKZAD: What are we going to do with Ali? 對于阿里我們將怎么做?
MRS.NIKZAD: What do you mean, dear? He's only six. 你是什么意思? 他才六歲.
MR.NIKZAD: He'll be seven in a few weeks. It's time to think about his future. 他再過幾個禮拜就七歲了, 該為他的前途著想了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Oh, dear. 哦, 親愛的.
MR.NIKZAD: You spoil him, Zahra. 薩拉, 你太寵他了.
MRS.NIKZAD: And you're too strict. You're always criticizing him. 但你對他太嚴了, 你總是對他吹毛求疵.
MR.NIKZAD: Because he never behaves. Why can't Ali be more like Hussein. 因為他從不守規矩, 他為什么不能像郝仙那樣?
MRS.NIKZAD: But dear, they are different people. They'll never behave the same way. 但是, 親愛的, 他們倆個是不同的啊! 他們的舉止完全不一樣.
MR.NIKZAD: We take him to the Fair, and what does he do? He runs away! 我們帶他去萬博會, 而他做什么呢? 他跑掉了!
MRS.NIKZAD: He's a very independent child. 他是個很獨立的孩子.
MR.NIKZAD: I'll never understand him. And what an imagination! He thinks ice cream vendors are secret agents. He talks to animals and toys. 我永遠不會了解他. 他多么有幻想力! 竟然把冰淇淋攤販視為密探, 還對著動物和玩具講話.
MRS.NIKZAD: All children are like that, dear. 所有的小孩子都是那樣子的, 親愛的.
MR.NIKZAD: No, Zahra, all children are not like that. 不, 薩拉, 并不是每一個孩子都是這樣子,
MR.NIKZAD: You can't make excuses for him forever. 你不能永遠為他找藉口.
MR.NIKZAD: Last year he misbehaved because he didn't understand English. 去年他不乖是因為他不懂英文,
MR.NIKZAD: This year you won't be able to use that excuse. 今年你不能再用那個理由了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Then we'll have to find a school for children like Ali. 那么我們必須找一所可以收容像阿里這樣孩子的學校.
MR.NIKZAD: Where will you find a school for stubborn children with bad manners? 哪里有學??山o又頑強又不懂禮貌的孩子去念?
MR.NIKZAD: He won't listen to anybody. 他是誰的話都不聽的.
MRS.NIKZAD: He's not stubborn; he's independent. But don't worry. I'll look for a school for creative children. 他并不頑強, 他是獨立. 你放心好了, 我將會找到一所給創作力特別強的兒童念的學校.
MR.NIKZAD: Won't you ever believe me? 你永遠不相信我嗎?
MR.NIKZAD: The boy needs discipline. 他需要的是管教.
MRS.NIKZAD: Let me try, Simon. Maybe I can find the right school. 塞門, 讓我試試吧. 也許我可以找到適合的學校.
MR.NIKZAD: All right, Zahra. But next year, back in Iran, things will be different. 好的, 薩拉. 可是明年 可是明年回到伊朗以后, 事情將會不一樣的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Be patient, dear. 你要有耐心, 親愛的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali will make you proud one day. 有朝一日, 阿里會讓你感到驕傲的.
MR.NIKZAD: Where is Ali now? 阿里現在在哪里?
MRS.NIKZAD: Watching TV. 他在看電視.
MR.NIKZAD: Are you sure? It's very quiet in there. 你確定嗎? 里面一點聲音也沒有.
MRS.NIKZAD: What are you doing, Ali? 你在作什么? 阿里
ALI: Ssh. You have to be very quiet! 噓, 安靜些!
MRS.NIKZAD: Why? What are you doing? 為什么? 你在作什么?
ALI: Can't you see, Mommy? The Martians are landing. 難道你沒注意到嗎? 火星人著陸了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Oh. Well, we're eating dinner. 哦, 我們要吃飯了.
ALI: OK. 好.
MRS.NIKZAD: Aren't you coming? 你不來吃嗎?
ALI: No, I'm not. 是, 我不要吃.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, your father will be very angry. 阿里, 你爸爸會非常生氣的.
ALI: No, he won't. He'll be happy. 不會的, 他會很高興.
MRS.NIKZAD: Why? 為什么?
ALI: I ruin his dinner. He always says, "Ali, why do you always ruin my dinner?" 我破壞他的晚餐, 他老是說: "阿里, 你為什么老是破壞我的晚餐?"
MRS.NIKZAD: He won't say that tonight. 他今天晚上不會這樣說.
ALI: Then he says, "Why can't you be like Hussein?" I hate Hussein! I don't want to be like him. 然后他說: u你為什么不能像赫仙那樣?」 我恨赫仙! 我不要像他那樣!
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, that's a terrible thing to say about your brother. 阿里, 你這樣說你哥哥真是可怕!
ALI: But it's true. 那是真的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, my little Martian, I won't enjoy my dinner without you. I'll miss you. Won't you come to the table and eat with me? 阿里, 我的小火星人. 你不在我身邊,我吃晚餐就沒有樂趣. 我將會想念你的, 請你到餐桌跟我一起吃, 好不好?
ALI: OK. But remember, it's only for you. 好, 可是要記住, 我是為了你而已.
MRS.NIKZAD: I'll remember. It'll be our secret. 我會記住, 那將是我們兩個人的秘密.
FRANK YAMAMOT Father? 爸?
MR.YAMAMOT Yes? 什么事?
FRANK YAMAMOT Wouldn't you like to take a walk to the Fair today? 您今天有興趣到萬博會去走走嗎?
MR.YAMAMOT It's Saturday. I have to be in the store. 今天是禮拜六, 我必須到店里去.
FRANK YAMAMOT I'm sure Jim can take care of the store. 我相信吉姆可以照料店里的事.
MR.YAMAMOT I don't like crowds. 我不喜歡人多的地方.
FRANK YAMAMOT I know, Father, but it's early. There won't be many people there at this hour. 我知道, 爸爸, 現在還早呢. 這個時候不會有很多人的.
MR.YAMAMOT I'd rather go on a weekday. 我寧愿平常日子去,
MR.YAMAMOT Saturday is our busy day at the store. 禮拜六是店里最忙的一天.
FRANK YAMAMOT Take a one-day vacation. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 休一天假吧, 我敢保證你會覺得很好玩.
MR.YAMAMOT I don't know, Frank. 我真懷疑, 法蘭克.
FRANK YAMAMOT People come from around the world to see the Fair. You're lucky. You live right around the corner. 人們從世界各地到萬博會來參觀, 您很幸運, 您剛好住在附近.
MR.YAMAMOT What's the weather like today? 今天天氣怎么樣?
FRANK: It's a beautiful spring day. It would be good for you to spend a day in the sun. 是個美麗的春天. 花一天的時間曬曬太陽對您是很有益的.
MR.YAMAMOT Can I get to the Fair by bus? 我可以搭公車到萬博會嗎?
FRANK: It's not far. Take a taxi. It won't be expensive. 并不遠, 坐計程車去, 不會太貴的.
MR.YAMAMOT No. I'll take the bus. 不, 我要坐公車.
FRANK: OK. Take the number 20. It goes right to the Fair. 好吧! 坐二十路, 它直開到萬博會.
MR.YAMAMOT Where is my good coat? 我那件好的大衣在哪里?
FRANK: In the hall closet. But you won't need a coat today. 在走廊的壁櫥里, 可是你今天不必穿大衣,
FRANK: The sun is shining, and it's going to get warm. 外面是晴天, 而且會逐漸變暖的.
MR.YAMAMOT Are you sure it's not going to rain? 你確定不會下雨嗎?
FRANK: I don't think so, but anything is possible. Your raincoat is in the hall closet, too. 我不這么認為, 可是天氣是無法預料的, 您的雨衣也放在走廊的壁櫥里.
MR.YAMAMOT You know, Frank, I'm not as young as I was. 我跟你講, 法蘭克, 我老了.
FRANK: No one is, Father. 我們都老了, 爸爸.
MR.YAMAMOT You're right. Help me with my coat, Frank. 你講得對, 幫我將大衣穿上. 法蘭克,
FRANK: Have a good time, Father. 祝您玩得很愉快, 爸.
MR.YAMAMOT Thank you, Son. 謝謝你, 兒子.
PEDR Excuse me. How much is the bus? 對不起, 請問巴士車票多少錢?
WOMAN: Fifty cents. 五毛錢.
PEDR Will $10 bill? 十塊錢的鈔票司機可以找得開嗎??the driver change a
WOMAN: I don't think so. Oh, here's the bus. 我想不會的, 噢, 車來了.
WOMAN: Oh, no! 噢! 真糟糕.
BUS DRIVER: What's the matter, lady? 你怎么了? 女士.
WOMAN: Look at me! 你看我!
BUS DRIVER: You look beautiful to me. 你看起來很漂亮呀!
WOMAN: Look at my dress! It's ruined! 你看我的衣服! 完蛋了!
BUS DRIVER: I'm sorry, miss. 對不起, 小姐.
WOMAN: Is that all you can say? 'I'm sorry, miss.' What about my dress? 你就只能說這個嗎? " 對不起, 小姐. " 我的衣服怎么辦?
PEDR What are you going to do about this? 這事你該怎么辦?
BUS DRIVER: Who are you? 你是誰?
PEDR Who do you think I am? 你以為我是誰?
BUS DRIVER: Look, mister. I'm sorry. It's raining. The streets are wet. 瞧, 先生, 我很抱歉. 外面下著雨, 街道都是濕的.
PEDR Let's sit down, dear. 我們坐吧, 女士.
BUS DRIVER: Hey, mister! You forgot to pay! 嘿, 先生! 你忘了付車錢!
PEDR I did not forget. Is the bus company going to pay for a new dress? 我沒有忘記付錢, 汽車公司將付新衣服的錢嗎?
BUS DRIVER: Forget it! Forget it! Sit down. 算了! 算了! 你坐吧.
WOMAN: Very clever. Do you ever pay for the bus? 真聰明, 你經常免費坐車嗎?
PEDR By the way, my name is... 對了, 我的名字是...
PAUL And that, Mr. Crawford, is our plan. We'd like your agency to handle the publicity. 郭佛先生, 我們的計劃就是這樣子. 我們愿意由你的代理商去負責宣傳.
MR.CRAWFORD: Good. 很好,
MR.CRAWFORD: Now let me make sure I have all the facts. 讓我來確定一下我所知道的整個事情.
PAUL Certainly. 請便.
MR.CRAWFORD: The Brazilian Pavilion is planning a competition for young artists. 巴西館計劃為年輕的藝術家們舉辦一次比賽.
PAUL Yes, and by the way, the Pavilion will display many of the entries during the final month of the competition. 對. 噢, 對了, 在比賽的最后一個月, 很多應徵的作品要在巴西館展覽出來.
MR.CRAWFORD: I see. Now, the entries must all be oil paintings, correct? 好的. 參加比賽的作品都必須是油畫, 對不對?
PAUL Yes. 對.
MR.CRAWFORD: Is there an age limit for the participants? 對參加比賽的人, 有沒有年齡上的限制?
PAUL We were thinking of thirty or thirty-five. But you must know more about this than I do. 我們考慮以三十歲或三十五歲為限. 不過, 關于這方面的事, 您知道的比我多,
PAUL You have more experience. 您的經驗比較豐富.
MR.CRAWFORD: I think thirty is the right limit. How old are you, Paulo? May I call you Paulo? 我認為三十歲最好, 保羅, 你幾歲了? 我可以叫你保羅嗎?
PAUL Of course, sir. Twenty-nine. 當然可以, 我二十九歲.
MR.CRAWFORD: You're the same age as my son Michael. 你跟我兒子麥可一樣大.
PAUL Yes. 喔.
MR.CRAWFORD: Forgive me. Where were we? 對不起, 我們剛才講到哪里?
PAUL We were discussing the rules of the competition. 我們剛才在討論比賽的規則.
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes. Now, you mentioned a grant. 對了, 你提到了獎助金,
MR.CRAWFORD: What kind of a grant were you thinking of? 你們考慮什么樣的獎助金?
PAUL We were going to offer a scholarship, a living allowance, and air fare to and from Brazil. What do you think of that idea? 我們打算發給一份獎學金, 還有生活費津貼 及到巴西的來回飛機票, 你認為這構想怎么樣?
MR.CRAWFORD: Excellent. 非常好,
MR.CRAWFORD: What about the deadline for the entries. 參加的截止日期呢?
MR.CRAWFORD: Six months from today? 從今天起六個月?
PAUL Yes. They have to enter by November 1. 是的, 他們必須在十一月一號以前報名,
PAUL We'll announce the winner the following month. 而我們將在下一個月宣布得獎者.
MR.CRAWFORD: Good. Well, I can have sample brochures ready for you in a week. 好. 我有小冊子的樣本, 一個星期之內可以給你.
PAUL Fine. 很好.
MR.CRAWFORD: Then, I'll see you a week from today. Is 2:00 convenient? 那么, 一個禮拜以后見. 兩點鐘, 方不方便?
PAUL Perfect. 再好沒有.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, Mr. Farias is leaving now. Good-bye, Paulo. 瑟姑拉小姐, 法瑞斯先生現在要走了, 保羅再見.
PAUL Good-bye, Mr. Crawford. And we'll see you and Mrs. Crawford for dinner on Wednesday. 郭佛先生再見, 禮拜三吃晚餐的時候, 我們就可以跟您和郭佛太太見面了.
MR. CRAWFORD: We're looking forward to it. 我們正期待著.
MR. CRAWFORD: Were there any calls? 有沒有電話?
LAURA: Yes. Your wife called fifteen minutes ago. 有. 夫人十五分鐘以前打電話來.
MR. CRAWFORD: Did she leave a message? 有沒有留話?
LAURA: No, sir. And your next appointment is here. Mr. Robert Gardner. 沒有, 下一個人已經來了, 羅巴特?迦德納先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Send him in, please. 請叫他進來.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
LAURA: Your coat, Mr. Farias. 法瑞斯先生, 您的大衣.
PAUL Thank you, Ms. Segura, Good day. 謝謝你, 瑟姑拉小姐, 再見.
LAURA: Good day, sir. 再見, 先生.
LAURA: As you see, Claire, the office is very formal. 如你所看到的, 這里是非常規規矩矩的.
CLAIRE: Yes, 嗯,
CLAIRE: I realized that when Mr. Crawford interviewed me. 郭佛先生面試的時候我就領會到了.
LAURA: Well, let's go on. The files are easy. We keep our files in alphabetical order. 好了, 我們繼續吧. 檔案很簡單, 我們這里的檔案按照字母順序排列.
CLAIRE: Who handles the accounts? 誰管帳?
LAURA: We have an accountant. 我們請到一位會計師,
LAURA: He comes in once a month and goes over the books. 他一個月來查一次帳.
CLAIRE: Laura, may I ask you a question? 羅拉, 我有一件事想問你一下, 可以嗎?
LAURA: Of course. 當然可以.
CLAIRE: May I ask why you're leaving? 我想問你為什么辭職?
LAURA: I'd rather not say. 我寧可不說.
CLAIRE: I understand. I'm sorry. 我了解, 對不起.
LAURA: No, don't apologize. Where were we? Oh, yes. 沒關系, 不用道歉. 剛才我們講到哪里了? 哦, 對了,
LAURA: Well, we keep the office supplies in this cabinet-paper, typewrite ribbons, pads, pencils, pens, envelopes, etc. 公司的文具都放在這個柜子里: 紙張、 打字機色帶、 便箋 (印色) 、 鉛筆、 鋼筆、 信封等等.
LAURA: Do you have any questions so far? 到此為止有沒有問題?
CLAIRE: Yes. How often do you work late? 有, 你時常工作得很晚嗎?
LAURA: Hardly ever. 幾乎沒有過,
LAURA: Mr. Crawford doesn't like to pay overtime. 郭佛先生不喜歡付加班費.
CLAIRE: Good. Because I don't know if I can stay late. I go to school at night. 很好, 因為我不知道我是否能留得很晚, 我晚上要上課.
LAURA: What are you studying? 你念什么?
CLAIRE: Law. when I was a girl, I wanted to be a lawyer. And I'm going to be one. 法律, 我小的時候 就想作律師, 而我即將就是了.
LAURA: I admire you. 我真佩服你,
LAURA: It must be difficult to work while you're going to school. 一邊上班一邊讀書一定很辛苦.
CLAIRE: It is, but it's what I want to do. 苦雖苦, 不過那正是我希望做的.
LAURA: Good luck. Oh, I almost forgot. We publish a World's Fair newsletter. Henry Leeds is the editor. His office is across the hall. I think that's it. 祝好運. 哦, 我幾乎忘記了, 我們出版一份萬國博覽會期刊, 編輯是里德斯. 他的辦公室在走廊對面, 我想那就是.
CLAIRE: Uh - where's the ladies' room? 嗯... 女用盥洗室在哪里?
LAURA: Oh, around the corner, second door on the left. 噢, 轉彎 左邊第二個門.
CLAIRE: I want to thank you for all your help. 我必須謝謝你幫我這么多的忙.
LAURA: I was happy to do it. Here are the keys. After 5:00 today, it's all yours. One more thing, be on time! He gets angry when you're late. 我很高興能夠幫你忙, 鑰匙給你. 今天五點后 全交給你了, 還有一件事, 要準時來! 當你遲到的時候他會生氣的.
AA: What am I doing here? What's wrong with this office? Everyone's so quiet. Nobody talks, nobody smiles. 我在這里做什么? 這家公司是怎么搞的? 所有的人都那么沈默, 沒有人說話, 沒有人微笑.
AA: Oh well, yesterday was only the first day, and things can change. In any case, it won't last forever. 不要想了, 昨天只是第一天; 情況總可以改變. 無論如何, 這是暫時性的.
AA: All right. It's 8:30. Where is everybody? 好了, 八點半了, 人都到哪里去了?
AA: You're early, Claire. Relax. Look around. I wonder where the newsletter file is. 克蕾爾, 你來早了, 不要緊張, 熟悉環境, 我不知道那個期刊檔案在哪里?
CLAIRE: -- Good morning, Mr. Crawford. 您早. -- 郭佛先生
MR.CRAWFORD: -- Good morning, Ms... Lindstrom. You're here early. Excellent. -- 早安, 林斯頓小姐, 你來早了, 很好.
AA: I don't know when I'm going find the time to study. I can study during my lunch hour, I guess. 我不知道什么時候才能抽空念書. 大概可以在吃午餐的時候念書吧! 我想
AA: Here they come. 8:55 exactly. 他們來了, 八點五十五分正.
HENRY: -- Good morning, Claire. My name is Henry. We met yesterday. I edit the newsletter. -- 克蕾爾早, 我叫亨利, 我們昨天見過面的. 期刊是我編輯的.
CLAIRE: -- Yes, of course I remember. Good morning, Henry. -- 對, 我當然記得, 亨利您早.
: Dear Miguel, 親愛的米蓋爾:
: Who is this girl, Marta, in the photograph? 照片上面那個女孩子瑪它是誰?
: she is very pretty. 她真漂亮.
: Oh, my poor Miguel! 噢, 我可憐的米蓋爾!
: I know you are lonely, but you are so young! 我知道你很寂寞, 但是, 你還很年輕!
: Don't ruin your life. 不要浪費你的生命.
: You have to continue your studies or you'll never find a good job. 你一定要繼續讀書, 否則的話永遠找不到好的工作.
: I'm glad you are having a good time, but we worry about you. 我很高興你玩得很開心, 不過, 我們替你擔心,
: We don't even know who she is. 連她是誰, 我們都不知道.
: Is she a nice girl? 她是一個好女孩子嗎?
: Is she from a good family? 她有個好家世嗎?
: Can you tell me what her father does? 你能不能告訴我她爸爸做什么事?
: You won't do anything foolish, will you, Miguel? 米蓋爾, 你可不能作傻事,
: You don't know how important you are to us. 你不知道你對我們來說是多么的重要.
: Do you remember the Monteros? 你還記不記得蒙特若夫婦?
: They moved to New York about seven years ago. 他們大概七年前搬到紐約去了,
: They have a daughter, a very pretty girl. 他們有一個很漂亮的女兒,
: She's just about your age. 跟你差不多一樣年紀.
: They won't recognize you, of course, but they'll remember us, and they'll be very happy to see you. 當然, 他們會認不出你是誰, 但是還會記得我們. 他們看到你, 一定會很高興.
: The girl's name is Maria. 他們的女兒叫瑪麗亞,
: I'm sure you'll find the number in the telephone book. 我想你在電話簿里一定可以查到電話號碼,
: His first name is Fernando. 他的名字叫費南多.
: Forgive me, Miguel. 請原諒我, 米蓋爾,
: I know you are a man now, 我知道你已經不再是小孩子了,
: but you are also my son. 可是, 你仍然是我的兒子.
: I worry about you, and I suppose I always will. 我替你擔心, 我想, 大概永遠會替你擔心.
: Love, Mama 媽
: PS Write soon. 再啟: 快一點來信.
: It was a warm day, warm for April. 是一個溫暖如四月的天氣.
: People were walking around the Fair with their coats over their arms. 在萬國博覽會有人一邊把大衣掛在胳膊上, 一邊散步.
: The sun was bright, and there were little white clouds in the blue sky. 太陽很大, 藍色的天空里有小小的白云,
: The trees wore a light green smile. 樹木露出淺綠色的笑容.
: At noon the Saturday crowd was very large. 在星期六的中午一大堆人群,
: Adults were laughing, children were crying, and everyone was having a good time. 大人們在笑, 小孩子們在叫, 大家都玩的很開心.
: A thousand vendors were selling ice cream, hot dogs, and cold drinks. 無數的攤販在賣冰淇淋、熱狗和冷飲.
: It was a beautiful, spring morning -- 這是一個美麗的春天的上午,
: the kind you want to last forever. 一種使人們希望它會持續到永遠的天氣.
: Later in the afternoon, the sun was not so bright, 下午之后, 太陽沒那么炎熱了,
: the sky was not so blue. 天空也不那么蔚藍.
: The little white clouds were now large and gray. 小小的白云變成了大大的黑云.
: There was a drop here, a drop there... 這里掉了一滴雨水, 那里掉了一滴...
: then ten thousand noisy drops. 然后嘩啦嘩啦的下了傾盆大雨.
: People shouted and ran in every direction. 人們一邊喊叫一邊向四面八方跑,
: Then there was silence, the sun, the blue sky, and a rainbow. 然后一切平靜下來, 天空中又出現了太陽、藍天, 還有一道彩虹.
: I admire Claire. 我真羨慕克蕾爾.
: She works all day and goes to school at night. 她白天上一天的班, 晚上還要去讀書.
: She knows where she's going and what she wants, and she's willing to work for it. 她掌握了人生的方向和目標, 而且肯為達到目標而努力.
: Am I? 我能嗎?
: In my first job, I was secretary. 我第一份工作是當秘書,
: When I married my husband, I quit. 結婚以后我就辭職了.
: After I left him, I went back to the same office. 離開丈夫以后就回到同一個公司,
: I never thought about other possibilities. 我始終沒有考慮走別的路.
: When I came here, I got a job right away. 當我來到這里以后, 馬上有了工作.
: I was happy with anything. 那個時候我一點也不挑剔, 對任何事情都感到很快樂.
: Now I'd like a change. 而現在我卻想換一個環境.
: First things first. 首先最重要的是,
: What skills do I have? 我有些什么技能?
: -- OK. I can do anything. -- 是的, 我什么都能作.
: -- Anything? -- 什么都能做嗎?
: -- Yes, anything. -- 是, 我什么事都能做.
: -- Come on now, Laura. Be realistic. -- 羅拉, 你不要這樣子了, 面對現實點吧!
: -- All right, almost anything. -- 好吧, 差不多什么都能做.
: I can speak, read, and write English and Spanish. 我能說、讀、寫英文和西班牙文,
: I can run an office. 我能負責辦公室的一切事務.
: I'm friendly and competent. 我又合群又能干,
: Uh... there must be more. 嗯... 一定還有,
: Oh, yes, I type and take shorthand in two languages. 對了, 我有兩種語言的打字和速記技能.
: -- Well, then, if you can do all that, -- 那么, 你既然有這些技能,
: you don't have to work for the Mr. Crawfords of the world! 就不必要替郭佛先生這種人工作!
: -- But, what will I do, then? -- 那么我將要怎么做呢?
: -- Well, what kind of job would you like? -- 你想要怎么樣的工作?
: Do you want to work in an office again? 你愿不愿意再到辦公室去工作?
: There's so much to think about. 要考慮的事情可真多!